Wednesday, May 31, 2006


The most interesting music mash-ups in the music industry may be in the form of producer/artist pairings. Rick Ruben's work with Johnny Cash and Neil Diamond has produced amazing, unexpected stuff. Equally unexpected was the pairing of Paul Simon and Brian Eno.

Both occupy a strong place in my experiences of music. Being a child of the 80's Eno has produced a lot of work that looms large for me both as an artist and producer. As a child I was exposed to the music Paul Simon created in the 70s. Albums like One Trick Pony. So both have been big for me but come from very different places in my life. And then this, the release of "Surprise" earlier this month. Psychologically, its a really strange mash-up for me.

I've actually listened to very little music in the past few months. I've just gotten bored with the onslaught of similar sounding acts. So, in a moment of frustration, I wiped everything out of itunes and I'm starting from scratch. The 11 tracks of this release are my new starting point. I have a bunch of web pages to code so it will give me a chance to listen to the album a few times. Maybe I'll write a review, maybe I won't.

No comments: