Sunday, July 09, 2006

If you have some time to kill (the radio star)

Pitchfork Media has put together a list of 100 Awesome Music Videos complete with YouTube embeds for each one.



I pulled 3 to feature here and there is a personal theme to the selection. When I first saw each of these I experienced a strong initial dislike. Later, all three became, and continue to be, much loved. I now pay much closer attention to things I initially dislike or don't get. (The commentary for each of the videos is from Pitchfork, not me.)


The Eurythmics: "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"
1983
Directed by Dave Stewart and Jon Roseman
Can be found on Eurythmics: Sweet Dreams Video Album DVD



The Eurythmics must have been the smartest people in the world, what with their PC-video projector plug-ins 15 years ahead of their time, and the steely resolve to sing when the whole world was clearly falling down before their eyes. You can also tell that Annie Lennox is smart because she's wearing a tux, and keeps giving me that "I'm smarter than you" look. Ok, I need to look away now. [Dominique Leone]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Herbie Hancock: "Rockit"
1983
Directed by Godley & Créme
Can be found on Herbie Hancock & the Rockit Band VHS



In the future, every home will be full of half-constructed robots dancing to the least challenging keyboard part Hancock ever played. [Joe Tangari]

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Talking Heads: "Once in a Lifetime"
1981
Directed by Toni Basil and David Byrne
Can be found on Once in a Lifetime Boxset



You may tell yourself: "He's got some crazy dance moves." And you may ask yourself: "Toni Basil co-directed this?!" [Joe Tangari]

No comments: