Sunday, July 23, 2006

Post Mortem Photography

I was aware of and had seen examples of Post-Mortem Photography. What I was not aware of was how common a practice it was in nineteenth-century America. It is in fact the largest group of nineteenth-century American genre photographs. Babies and children who had died were dressed and posed as if sleeping or dressed in their Sunday best and posed sitting on the edge of their bed or sitting in a chair.





PBS article and photogallery.

Essay: The Quickening of the Dead and the Dying of Death: Postmortem Photographs from Nineteenth-Century America.

4 comments:

B-REAL said...

that reminds me of a book called "the death triangle" that was givin' to me about short newspaper articles about wierd death stories in wisconsin, minnesota, and illinois just before i was moving to wisconsin. that book made me so depressed for weeks.

Tom Sherman said...

there were a surprising number of books on google with the title death triangle. sounds like it could be a downer

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested