Saturday, August 12, 2006

Bank of America Tower. Outdoor Advertising.

A month ago, I'm in the shower, cleaning myself up so I can go to the offices of Conde Nast and have lunch with a friend in the tricked-out Frank Gehry Cafeteria.

The Conde Nast building just so happens to be next to the construction site of the future Bank of America Tower (One Bryant Park). Bank of America is to be commended in participating in the construction of what will be the most environmentally-friendly office building in the world. When I go to lunch at Conde Nast and see the construction site, I think of the outdoor campaign idea I developed for the Tower which I thought would never be used (I no longer work on the account). Showering that day, this is exactly what I as thinking about. I actually thought to myself "I would rather have my ideas stolen than go to waste".

As I walked down 42nd street that afternoon I was shocked to see that my idea had finally been implemented (in some form). There is a large overhead scaffolding piece that reads "Higher Standards in Architecture. Coming 2008." and "New York's Most Environmentally Friendly Office Tower".

On the sidewalk, mounted to the construction fence is a series of posters with facts about the building.

I had second thoughts about creating a post on this work (hence the long delay, this has been up for some time). There are things I don't like about the implementation of my idea but I don't want to come off as a blogging ass telling the world "this is what I would have done is...". Then I thought, "f*** it, it as my idea." If anyone is entitled to critique, it's me.

What bothers me most are the historical shots of construction workers. This is about a forward thinking building of the future. (I think one of the shots shows a guy installing asbestos.)

There is an great line-art illustration of the building on each poster. That could have been used large, filling an entire poster, to punctuate the text messages, but far less often than the monotonous text, picture, text set-up that is there now.

An irony created by the construction worker photos is the context. As you walk by the photos there are real construction workers cat calling the stream of beautiful girls that emanate from Conde Nast.

I think there are too many of the posters. Spacing them out a bit would have created a pause and anticipation between posters. Some of the facts are very, very impressive, why not give them a chance to sink in. Its currently a carpet-bombing.

The text should be larger, a good headline should be read by being looked at. By the time you realize there are words in front of you there meaning should already be in your head.

I had one other idea when I saw the massive construction underway. Send in a crew at night to paint the I -beams greens. A cute visual gag to draw attention to the fact that it is a "green architecture" construction site. (Probably too cute for the bank's brand.)

No comments: