Monday, October 09, 2006

The Embalmerati

A friend of mine has a term he uses to describe the overly preserved creatures you see on the New York Social Diary: The Embalmerati.

You can see plenty of them on display here.

I've always thought that modern medicine and our enhanced standard of living made it possible for humans to longer than they are supposed to live. At a certain point you are artificially alive, the living dead or undead.

While we are on the topic of embalmed displays, the "incorrupt" heart of St. John Vianney will is on display at the Curé of Ars Church in Merrick, L.I.

Care to guess what this is?

It's Galileo's finger.

OK. One last specimen. Oliver Cromwell's head

I'm going to have to give this some thought and do some pre-planning if I'm going to join the list of people who have left behind an embalmed part. Maybe, I should do it while I'm alive, see to it that it's done properly.

Halloween is coming, so let's rock. I leave you with Bauhaus, Bela Lugosi's Dead.

No comments: