Friday, December 29, 2006

Dangerous Ideas: The Top Ten Toy List

I've always been a big fan of games that end in catastrophe and total destruction. Games, like "Don't Break the Ice" and "Don't Spill the Beans" in which the entire game or structure of engagement is destroyed. Games are in a sense, imaginary worlds, complete with rules and goals for engagement. We enter these worlds to play out the rule sets. Games provide people with a way to interact with one another that is more engaging than sitting around and talking about the weather. The idea that the created world is consumed and destroyed through the course of play is particularly appealing to me.

My second favorite type of games are those in the "last man standing" category. (Demolition derbys and boxing.)

My least favorite are "first man out". Games like Rummy where the goal is to be the first to run out of the game.

This is a good list from the good folks at Radar Magazine: The 10 most dangerous toys of all time #2 has the potential for mutual ensured destruction. Neato!

I knew if was a good list when I saw #1. JARTS! Potential Cain & Able family trauma with each heaven bound projectile.

No comments: