Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Banksy

With his Barely Legal gallery show in LA this past fall and his recently published boook on, Wall and Piece notorious outlaw artists Banksy becomes more and more mainstream. (There is even a piece in Print, a traditional graphic design magazine, this month.) Don't get me wrong, I love his work, but I'd much rather see him turn his barb on the sillly gallery scence rather that become it's darling. The amount of time dedicated in the following video pieces to the "who is Banksy" question is tiresome. (Robert Banks from Briston, England according to the Wikipedia entry ) All said, my hat is off to the man, I wish there was more work happening outside the gallery scenes pushing on buttons and getting in faces.

Video profile on: CurrentTV






Banksy's Disneyland Gitmo prisoner install is among my personal favorites.

2 comments:

Nick Z. said...

Hey Sherman, check this out.

http://www.gothamist.com/archives/2007/01/23/against_streeta.php

I almost hate to say it, but I kind of agree with him/her.

Tom Sherman said...

Hmm. very interesting. Will def do a post on this.

Thanks Nick