Saturday, April 26, 2008

Chuck Wagon Dog Food TV Commericals

I was mesmerized by the Chuck Wagon dog food commercials as a child. (I've been waiting for years for someone to post one of these.)

The surrealistic shifting of scale and the enigmatic , drive-by, wormhole rupturing of reality by "alien craft" are as captivating as they are needless to the selling of the product, but it certainly burned an impression on my young mind.

They definitely took a page out of the playbook of classic children's cereal advertising by leveraging the psychological drama of "pursuit" and "frustrated desire". The dog wants the Chuck Wagon but is told that "sorry charlie, tricks are for kids". (I know, I mashed two commercial on that.)

Further Reading on Cereal Advertising:

Cereal Brand/Box Design

Celebrity culture destroyed cereal advertising

Classic Jungian Archetype: "Picked on loser."

Characters and the Cult of Personality

No comments: