Friday, June 20, 2008

Gray Kunz is a god.

I had dinner last night at my friend Jimmy's father's restaurant, Cafe Grey, in the Time Warner Building. I'm still not over it, literally. As I type this I'm sipping tea and eating the desert treats I brought home for my friends (sorry Matt).

I've eaten many great meals in amazing New York restaurants: Daniel, Danube, Jean Georges, Per Se, Le Bernardin, Le Grenouille not to mention all of the great steak and shop houses. (My friends had a surprise dinner for me at Del Friscos on Tuesday. Far exceeded my expectations for it. Except for the humorless waitress.) I had begun to feel a bit jaded and thought that maybe by the time you've had 6 or 7 world class tasting menus that the world was exhausted of culinary surprise. The last "high expectation" meal I had like that was at Per Se and to be honest, as excellent as it all was, I was a bit bored. I really didn't think I would ever be really blown away by a "meal" again.

Last night I sat down to diner at Cafe Gray with Jimmy, his wonderful mother and beautiful cousin Natalie. Gray Kunz and his staff opened up my third eye and blinded me with the magic.

Im a fois gras junkie, his was THE BEST I've ever eaten and the braised short rib of beef with soft grits and meaux mustard is one of the most magnificent things I've ever had my mouth on.


You can see what you've been missing out on by going to Cafe Grey's website, unfortunately you may not be able to try it for yourself. The restaurant serves its last meal on Saturday night.

All is not entirely lost, I understand that he has plans for other ventures and many, many surprises in store for us in the future.

Thank you Gray (and Jimmy, mad love to you brother!) for a spectacular evening.


kathleen said...

first women, now food, both leaving you in a state of ennui, the result of eating too much of the good stuff, as it were.

sounds like you need to lower your standards, feed beneath your station. partake of casseroles and fishwives.

don't forget the bromide.

(very sorry to hear about the restaurant, but it sounds like you have an "in" with the chef)

king friday said...

I'll give you something magical to put in your mouth. Fresh from the Land of Make Believe.

Thomas Sherman said...

king friday you are tooooo much

bob said...

If you are a foie gras junkie, you really need to try the restaurant " Temptation" on the island of St.'s the best I've ever had.

Thomas said...

I used to spend a lot of time in St. Martin but I haven't been in years. Le Pessoir on the Grand Case is one of my favs there.

I will be sure to visit again just to try the Fois Gras at temptation

WOW GOLD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.