Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Ira Glass on Storytelling

Despite being a regular listener to NPR I was not familiar with Ira Glass till The Pea Princess D turned me on these clips in which he discusses the art of storytelling.

He discusses the hard work that goes into finding a story, developing and killing failing material. 1/2 to 1/3 is killed and the amount of time spent finding a story is often more than the time it takes to produce it.





In part 3, he generously shares a bad, "ill conceived" segment from his 8th year in the business to get across the idea that getting really good at what you do takes lots of hard work and a long time.



5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Ira Glass is a genius at finding good stories. He's also the editor of an incredibly good book of nonfiction stories, "The New Kings of Nonfiction":
http://www.amazon.com/New-Kings-Nonfiction-Ira-Glass/dp/1594482675

In the spirit of full disclosure, a friend of mine has a story in the collection (Lee Sandlin).

Anyway, if Ira Glass says "read this," do so right away :-)

PS, thank god you're back - I needed something new to read :-)

Thomas Sherman said...

you have no idea how good it is to be back, lots of good posts ready for the blog that I will be posting later in the week

ka kaw

Nixta said...

Who is Princess Pea D? It is not me, as far as I can see...

Thomas Sherman said...

everyone knows that dani is the pea princess

but i just realized that you were my source for this, my apologies

WOW GOLD said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.