Friday, July 04, 2008

Mixing Meat

Someone I know once commented that America's beautiful, mixed-race babies may be one of its greatest cultural contributions. As much as I agree, I disagree. Last night I facetiously told a friend that I am opposed to racial interbreeding explaining that over a long enough timeline the differences between reces would be flattened out into a indistinct composite. All of the beautiful differences would be diffused. Would you do that with world's cuisines?

As positive as I think it is for the spread of empathy and understanding for people to date, breed and intermarry wouldn't it be awful for the marvelous uniquenesses to disappear. I'm glad I won't be aroud.




Then today, a friend blog's this Face of Tomorrow, a photographers exploration of the effects of globalization on identity.

The Face of Tomorrow is a concept for a series of photographs that addresses the effects of globalization on identity.

The large metropolises of the world are magnets for migrants from all parts of the planet resulting in new mixtures of peoples. What might a typical inhabitant of this new metropolis look like in one or two hundred years if they were to become more integrated?

The Face of Tomorrow attempts to find this face by taking photographs of the current inhabitants and compositing their faces to create a typical face. What we get is a new person - a mix of all the people in that city. A face that doesn't exist right now, but a face, it seems, of someone quite real the Face of Tomorrow.

The composites from the city of Amsterdan.


I stole the title of the post from Nixta, thanks mate.

No comments: