Sunday, September 13, 2009

Participation = Destruction #4: 50 things that are being killed by the internet

A list compiled by the Telegraph UK: 50 things that are being killed by the internet. The big one I think they missed is the value of trivia knowledge. Here a just a few of my favorites from the list:

1. The art of polite disagreement

11. Music stores

13) Memory

16. Hoaxes and conspiracy theories
The internet is often dismissed as awash with cranks, but it has proved far more potent at debunking conspiracy theories than perpetuating them. The excellent Snopes.com continues to deliver the final, sober, word on urban legends.

32. Chuck Norris's reputation

34. Mainstream media

50. Your lunchbreak



Previous essays in this series:

Participation = Destruction (1 Billion Internet Users, The Tyranny of the Masses and the Death of Digital Culture)

Let's Play Lord of the Flies! (Participation = Destruction #3)

Creative Surplus & Virtual Unemployment (Participation = Destruction)




3 comments:

kathleen said...

We've talked about this before, but web 2.0 may have an impact on creativity - too much of other people's input (she says as she comments on a blog). I periodically have to bug out for a bit so I can hear my own thoughts, and it takes a few days before those thoughts start to sound original again. They may not be, it may just be that in the absence of other people I don't know that someone else is thinking my thoughts, but I feel better without all the chatter.

Thomas Sherman said...

I agree, it's as if there is a constant hum of other people's dull interests and ideas. I find myself spending less and less time on facebook and twitter.

I do see lots of interesting things when I review all the things I follow with google reader, but I found myself thinking today that I just end of scanning lots and lots of things and not deeply considering very much of it.

Anonymous said...

酒店打工

酒店兼職

台北酒店

打工兼差

酒店工作

酒店經紀

禮服酒店

酒店兼差

酒店上班

酒店PT

酒店

酒店喝酒

酒店消費

喝花酒

粉味

喝酒